Wednesday 2 January 2013

Alright New Year...Let's do This!

So, unless you're triskaidekaphobic, (which admittedly I am slightly), this new year is something to look froward to.

2012 didn't exactly go as planned on the painting front, the last three months in particular were quite bare as real life focused me elsewhere, so now it's time to look forward.

Usually this is the post where I lay out my plans and goals for the year ahead.

So how many plans do I have for the coming year?

Answer: None, zip, zilch, nada.

To paraphrase Mark Twain I've paved too much of Hell with my good intentions over the years always ignoring my one fatal flaw, I'm a miniature magpie. Any shiny new mini that appeals to me is invariably bought and joins the ever increasing pile of lead and plastic in my wardrobe, under my bed or in the loft. If I have a bad day, or week, or month I will invariably turn to one of the projects that have been in the back of my mind for years, or get caught up in an amazing new project that's just come into my head to take my mind off of things, only for it to be dropped two weeks later because my attention's been grabbed by the next new thing.

They say the first step in dealing with a problem is to admit you have one, and I do have a problem.  I love the thrill of starting a new project, the planning and prep are the parts I really enjoy. I also enjoy having newly painted models to show off to the world and play with...it's just that pesky bit in the middle where you actually do all the work that I have a problem with, that's the point I'm at my most vulnerable to new and shiny models and games.

I've lost track of the number of times I've started a project with such great enthusiasm only to find after a week or so I'm looking for that next hit of something new and end up putting it aside “just for a bit” whilst I start something else that's just caught my eye or come to mind.

So this year there are no plans, only ideas and possibilities, otherwise I'm just going to go with the flow and see where the hobby takes me. I'm also going to stop with the painting points, I paint because I enjoy it, I don't need to know how much I've painted over the year, just that I am painting.

So, there you go, that's what I've decided for the year ahead as far as personal projects are concerned. I still have a number of commission pieces to do for Rich and Charlie, and possibly a new commission later in the year, (so long as I pull my finger out and finish the other stuff before March).

Keep an eye on the blog, I may even try to update more regularly again.

So till next time, take care.

J

No comments: